A project that is changing the skyline of Arlington has just celebrated its “topping out.”
The massive Highlands residential development in Rosslyn recently reached its full height. Construction, which has continued through the pandemic and some notable challenges, is expected to wrap up in the second half of 2021.
The Highlands, when completed, will consist of nearly 800 luxury rental apartments, just over 100 condos, 40,000 square feet or retail space, a renovated park, and a new ACFD Fire Station 10.
It’s located at 1555 Wilson Blvd, at a high point in the Rosslyn neighborhood, adjacent to H-B Woodlawn’s new building known as The Heights. Construction started in October 2018.
More on the topping out and the project, from a press release.
Penzance, a leading owner, operator, and developer in the Washington, DC, metropolitan region, today announced the topping out of all three of the towers for The Highlands, Rosslyn’s newest mixed-use, luxury residential community.
Perched on the hilltop with panoramic views of Northern Virginia, the Potomac River, and the iconic monuments along the DC skyline, The Highlands name is inspired by its geographic location as the highest point in Rosslyn. In addition to three distinct residential towers, destination retail, the Highlands will be home to a new and enhanced Rosslyn Highlands Park and a new headquarters to Arlington County Fire Station #10 all funded as part of a public-private partnership between Penzance and Arlington County.
The Highlands, built to LEED Gold certification standards, will be comprised of 104 luxurious condos, 780 rental apartments, and more than 50,000 square feet of refined amenity space and 40,000 square feet of carefully-curated retail space between the buildings at full build-out, all delivering in the second half of 2021.
“We are proud to see all three of our towers at The Highlands reach this major construction milestone on-schedule as we work to deliver this new community that is primed to transform Rosslyn when it delivers in 2021,” said John Kusturiss, Senior Vice President of Construction and Development for Penzance. “The Highlands will establish a lively neighborhood within Rosslyn that aligns nature with architecture to create a pedestrian-friendly and connected environment, just minutes from the very best of the DMV.”
The Highlands includes three distinct towers: Pierce, Aubrey, and Evo. The elegant design of each building incorporates environmentally sustainable interior and exterior elements. Marked by a distinguished style to meet the unique needs of the region’s burgeoning and diverse makeup, The Highlands serves as the heart of the repositioned Wilson Boulevard and is only a short walk to both the Rosslyn and Courthouse Metro stations and Georgetown via the Key Bridge.
Pierce – Condominium
- Towering 27 stories tall, Pierce will set a new, elevated standard for luxury condominium living in the DMV with floor-to-ceiling windows in its 104 luxurious and light-filled residences, creating a shimmering glass façade from the exterior.
- Pierce is designed in understated elegance for ultimate convenience with spectacular views of the Potomac, national monuments and the DC skyline, high-end appliances for cooking, dens for entertaining, and serene and airy bedrooms for relaxing.
- Among Pierce’s upscale amenities are the hotel-style lobby, two-story fitness center, and spacious rooftop entertainment terrace.
- The sales center for Pierce opened this June, located at 1525 Wilson Blvd.
- The first units from Pierce are scheduled to deliver in August 2021.
Aubrey – Apartments
- The eye-catching Aubrey stands at 23 stories tall with sculptural balconies radiating from the building’s façade, creating a sense of visual intrigue and drama from below.
- For residents of its 331 units — from studios to three-bedroom apartments larger than the market average — these balconies will also provide scenic citywide views of Rosslyn and DC’s monuments.
- Aubrey will cater to individuals seeking a mix of refined amenities and flexible living spaces, including covered cabanas on the rooftop pool deck, private club room, state-of-the-art fitness center, and ground-floor retail.
- Aubrey’s first units are scheduled to deliver in May 2021.
Evo – Apartments
- Featuring a contemporary façade of metal panels, shimmering windows, and warm brick, Evo’s 26 stories gently curve away from North Pierce Street, offering residents exceptional views of the Potomac, Rosslyn Highlands Park and the Virginia countryside.
- Home to the largest community at The Highlands — 449 apartments, from studios to three-bedroom units — Evo will be a vibrant home to an exciting mix of people.
- Residents can enjoy the Evo’s top-of-the-line amenities by taking a dip in the 70′ resort-style rooftop pool and water feature with cabanas with unobstructed views of the DC Skyline, laying out with a good book on the 3rd-floor garden terrace, getting your sweat on at the luxury fitness center, or focusing on your passion at the on-site coworking space — all without leaving the building.
- Evo’s first units are scheduled to deliver in August 2021.
Sitting alongside Pierce, Evo, and Aubrey will be the revitalized Arlington County Fire Station No. 10, and a reimagined 26,000 SF public park with community programming. Poised to be pillars of neighborhood activity, these projects were funded by a public-private partnership with Penzance and Arlington County to create a close-knit community in the midst of a busy urban environment. In partnership with Arlington Public Art, Penzance announced a new public art installation on the façade of the new fire station by local artists David and Eli Hess. The sculpture will honor the fire department and reflect its long-standing work in the surrounding community while enhancing the public space within The Highlands. The Heights, the H-B Woodlawn School’s new building which delivered in 2019, rounds out the community at The Highlands.